Each month I stay accountable to my goals by reviewing the goal, the strategies, and progress. This month started with a week-long vacation, so some numbers are lower. On the upside, I have regained use of my hand.
Overarching theme: “Promotion”
Goal 1: Who am I as a writer?
- A track record of success in the real estate niche
- Hard to break into new industries
- Not sure what will ignite my spark
- Make time to “write for fun” and explore new topic niches
Progress: I did two idea flushing-outs, but didn’t complete any creative writing exercises. I explored other job boards and e-newsletters, but nothing sounded appealing. More consistency is needed with the creative writing. Grade: D
Goal 2: Increase my knowledge base and writing skills.
- Balancing the need to generate income and acquiring new skills.
- Classes cost money, which eats into revenue.
- Finding the time
- Read the free resources that come into my inbox
- Create a “learning” budget I can use on courses
- Dedicate a set time for industry reading and learning.
- Create themes for the month to focus the learning
Progress: I continue to make more time to read the newsletters that hit my email inbox. I weighed joining a UX writing course, but rather than spend the funds I decided it would best to research the niche and decide if I want to pursue it. I opted not to spend my professional development. I think the best course is to decide what I to learn more about and then find the PD that fits.
Goal 3: Promote me.
- Time spent prospecting for new work
- Competition may be fierce
- I’m a shy person who doesn’t like to talk about myself
- Finding the byline writing opportunities on the immense World Wide Web
- Launch a “how I edit” series on my website blog
- Find byline opportunities
- Make my website even easier to see my writing
- Dedicate a time to job hunt
Progress: I created a few “how I edit” videos, but neglected to post them. I didn’t hunt any byline writing opportunities. Grade: D
Goal 4: Maintain income stream of [confidential) through 2021. That’s an average of [confidential] per month.
- Limited time to work
- Reduced need in the market for writers
- Managing my time wisely
- Reduce Upwork dependance so more money comes to my pocket.
- Charge the rates I’m worth..
- Work at least 5 hrs on my working days.
- Track each month how much time is spent writing on projects versus time invested and rate earned.
Progress: Work time increased this month, since we did not travel. I worked harder at being efficient with my time and aiming for set hours per day. I also started physical therapy to help with my hip, but the shoulder still needs work.
My June monthly income was 98% above the target. I still need to adjust the target to more accurately reflect my average income. Grade: A